Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Knitting Newbie

I have a ton of knitting books and knitting supplies that I have been collecting over the years, but I never used any of them until this Fall. Now I know how to crochet, but I think that knitting sort of intimidated me because it requires the use of two needles and I just could't see in my mind's eye how you could get into a rhythm with two needles like you can with one when you are crocheting. Well let's just say that I am really happy that I forged ahead with my trusty knitting instruction books (which I will post my favorites for you later) and learned how to do this thing!!! My first project was the mini cardigan from Fitted Knits by Stefanie Japel. I actually made this pattern twice the first time that I finished it, althought it was cute it was too small, despite the fact that I did follow the directions. The second time I changed the color to burgundy and yellow and followed the directions for the medium size and while it is a little snug, it still fits.


























My second project that I just finished is the Sloane vest from Yarnplay by Lisa Shobhana Mason(another great book). However, I did not use the suggested yarn, instead I used Woolease thick and quick and it still came out pretty good. What I like about knitting is that it is a portable hobby, it's really quite relaxing and like sewing you can make absolutely beautiful pieces for your wardrobe.

































During the holidays I plan to finish another vest (maybe two) that I have been working on from the Classic Knits book by Erika Knight. In the book the vest is actually called a Tank top, but it looks like a vest to me. I have been working on it in sky blue using Woolease Thick and Quick yarn again. I finished the back and hopefully I will be able to finish the front tomorrow while I am at the airport. I hope to make another one in burgundy while I am visiting my family since I already have the yarn. Both vests will coordinate with skirts that I have already made using my (you guessed it) staple skirt pattern McCalls 3830.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog! ... and hte McCall's skirt pattern *is* a great wardrobe builder. Have you considered reviewing it on Pattern Review?

007gurl said...

I have not done a pattern review yet, but I plan to do so maybe with my next sewing project.