Monday, March 10, 2008

Sewing again

Okay,okay I have been off the radar for a couple of weeks, but for good reason. I have been very busy with work and life issues, so I have not sewn as much as I would ideally like. However, despite all that I had to do this weekend and it was a lot, I said to myself I do not care I am going to sew no matter what this weekend. So alas, I was able to finish two skirts. One that I said I was going to make and one I just decided to make on the spur of the moment. I was able to complete McCall's 5430 (view C) that I cut out during my cutting frenzy last month. I used a heavy denim for the fabric, but if I had it to do over again I would use more of a light weight denim, because I had a hard time doing the topstitching. I wanted to topstich this skirt in heavy black thread, but I could not get the tension right on my machine, so I gave up and just used regular thread. The pictures are kind of dark because I took them in the late afternoon.

The other skirt I made was from one of my old Simplicity patterns (5564, view A). I used a red print bottom weight fabric and then added blue piping. I really like the piping detail on this skirt so I might make another one. This pattern was really easy to sew, so I should be able to whip out another one if I want in no time.

7 comments:

Shannon said...

Those two skirts are very cute! I especially like the denim one - it looks so retro fabulous! :)

LauraLo said...

Both skirts are sooo cute! Very very nice!

Unknown said...

Nice skirts! I especially like the denim one.

Anonymous said...

I want to make the skirt up in a heavy canvas (duck) fabric. Do you think that would work, given your experience with the denim?

kasizzle said...

They both look perfect for spring. I may have to copy your idea for that denim one, if you don't mind!

Lisa H. said...

Your skirts are absolutely fab.

007gurl said...

Thanks artist1lisa, pirouette, lauralo, and shannon I love the skirt too! It does look kind of retro. Kasizzle you should definitely make it. I plan to sew another one as well. Vivienne I think that it would work out well in heavy canvas. I learned that if your topstitching starts to look funky that you should only use regular thread in the bobbin and heavier thread on top, so next time I will do that.