Monday, January 28, 2008

Oh Lutterloh

This weekend I decided to see if the "golden rule" really works. So I took a stab at one of my seemingly simple Lutterloh patterns circa late 1960's. According to the golden rule, you only need your bust and hip measurements in centimeters to draft a pattern from the models included in their pattern book and this can all be done in less than one hour. Yet, eventhough I followed the directions explicitly and even watched the video again, I still had a bit of trouble. Now it may be that I was nursing an adult beverage during the process, but I don't think so. I even pulled out some of my pattern construction books for reference, because for unknown reasons the pattern did not trace out perfectly like the model.


In any case, I had to make some adjustments to the pattern, mainly to the bodice. My next step is to make a muslin of this pattern before I cut it out really. I think that I am going to use a black linen for my actual garment fabric and detail it with some heavy white topstitching.

3 comments:

Lashell said...

I purchased the Lutterloh system from HSN but it was not what I thought it would. I thought it was going to teach me how to make my own pattern just using two measurements. I can't wait to see how it works out for you.

Anna R. said...

Hi, I use Lutterloh too_______ sometimes. I find the fit pretty good, still have to adjust the shoulders because apparently there's too much bosom on these size 14 shoulders. That's no different from any other commercial pattern company though. I got my kit form Ebay, all 70's and 80's patterns I think. I like the challenge of making something out of them that's NOT retro. Been there, etc.
Good luck with it.

Anonymous said...

I'm a Lutterloh newcomer as well. I too bought it from HSN and I also bought the XL/XXL Plus-size edition. If these patterns work, it will be great -- there's a lot of diversity and from what I hear a huge number of vintage patterns out there too. It certainly isn't for beginners though. You have to figure out how to put the pattern together yourself. I've been sewing forever but I know that I'll have to look up some of the stuff that I can never remember. I'll keep checking back to see how it's going!

Ruthanne